Beyond Access helps countries implement digital strategies and build information societies. Our approach is built on a methodology tested in more than a dozen countries.
Integrate new services into public libraries based on need and demand.
- Vision: Generate consensus among library stakeholders for role of public libraries within development priorities.
- Targets: Jointly establish library service objectives based on local development priorities.
- Design for Users: Create community profiles based on real and potential library users, adapt Beyond Access modules for local context.
- Action Plan: Turn activities into regular, dependable library services.
- Activity Guides: Provide librarians step-by-step guidance for specific services that match user needs.
- Promotion: Market library services to new partners based on established experience.
- Measurement: Use simple monitoring tools to gather data for assessment, improvement and advocacy.
Why It Works
Embed capacity within library systems that evolves as needs change.
- Responsive: Training reorients librarians to serve concrete user needs.
- Supportive: Ongoing mentoring provided by IREX and local partner.
- Structural: Training capacity integrated into existing public library administration.
- Relevant: Targets and services that explicitly meet established national development goals.
- Global: Lessons shared from global community working on similar initiatives.
Standardized modules that can be adapted to any country and context.